Thursday, October 12, 2006

school day

Today I had longest school day so far. First class started at 9 am. and last lecture ended at 4:30 pm. Phoooh, quite long day but it's so great to follow lectures again. In first class there was totally only 2 students. Teacher was japanese but spoke perfect american english. He is really a professonal in his area (organometallics) and seems to demand quite a lot from us also. He was constantly giving hard questions to us and really making you "suffer" if you didn't know the answer, like "did you leave all your knowledge about organic chemistry to Finland?!"...hmmm, let me think...yes it seems so. ;P Yep, but he's a real pro in his area and has a good spirit. Pitty that I just need those credits from that course. That teacher could force us really to study...I bet that he'll do it anyway. :)

First lecture put me really thinking that what I have done if all the lectures here in Japan are similar, but luckilly in the next lecture the atmosphere was much more relaxed. Teacher is small smiling guy who doesn't speak very good english but speaks still alot and is laughing all the time. Oh, and I'm the only one in that class. The topic is much more interesting (nearer to my research area) so only problem is that I can't make too deeply going questions 'cause he wouldn't understand it. Really liked this class. Even though it is thermodynamics the first half and qantum mechanics the second half...my favourites (maybe I'll learn it this time 'cause I'm the only one there).

In third class there was approximately 10 people I would say. Teacher is speaking english with a really heavy japanese accent. Chinese guy from our dorm was really in trouble in following him but it didn't disturb me. Pronunciation of finnish and japanese are so near that it's quite easy for me to understand the teacher. Propably most interesting course, at least it is about engineered materials (hee, guess who is doing his degree in department of "innovative and engineered materials"). Nice way of teaching in that class. He gave us papers with questions at the beginning and asked us to answer to those during the class and he collected the papers after the class. Really makes you to follow and to (want to) understand the lecture!

Last class was solid state chemistry. So, probably I don't need to say anything about it. Ok, ok...this is the stuff with which I'm working daily (crystal sturctures, inorganic solid state synthesis, and so on...). So really cool stuff! Actually every class which I had today is somehow related to my research area...can't really loosen up in any of those...damn, I mean perfect! Finally, I do just the stuff I like most.

Oke, now you have had so much bullshit from my first school day and studies that I have to reward you with one picture. Finally I cleaned and arranged my work place. NOw it's ready for some heavy studying.


Nice and clean. Shall we see after 2 months is it as empty and clean still...I doupt a bit.

Ok, came home at 9 pm. When I left, all the japanese work mates stayed behind. One day I'll find out what time they really leave from that lab...or do they leave at all. Every morning they are there when I arrive and stay when I leave. And yes, have mention that I did also some experiments and didn't just play with my new toy (white pc).

Oh oh, oh! Almost forgot. I bought 2 tickets for the K-1 finals on 2nd of December in Tokyo Dome!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I totally agree with you! Finnish pronunciation is quite similar to Japanese one. I believe I will be able to speak Finnish fluently in a future although my Finnish textbook is still displayed on a desk nicely…

Japanese students studying science and technology tend to stay in a laboratory through night. Actually, many of my friends are like that. And, they always eat fried noodles…

Samu said...

Hee, here they eat mostly just chocolate bars. ;) I guess that soon I'll working days and nights also. So now I have to take everything out from my freedom. :D

BTW, when do you go to Finland and for how long?

Anonymous said...

Hey! I will go to Finland in February if I am accepted and probably stay until June, which means I will spend the second semester for the exchange programme.

But it might be hard for me to be chosen because I am not a EU student. (The programme is normally for EU students.)

Anyway, I will try to make a good portfolio and wish they accept me.

You seem to enjoy Japanese life, don't you? Hope you have a good time:)!