Saturday, December 23, 2006

The worst and best day of week...

Phuuuuuuh...this week is finally over. Have no idea how I got so tired by end of it. Today everything seemed to downhill until last hour when I was about to go to sleep. First of all this morning was the hardest wake up since my army mornings after long evening vacations... I think half of my spirit is still laying on bed, waiting me to arrive back. Ok, so the day started with half spirit. Still I was ready to work hard and my spirit (half of it) was up. One of the first things I heard after (extra-)weekly morning meeting was that XRD (X-ray diffraction) machine was broken night before. I couldn't do anything with my samples without XRD-measurement first.

Ok, second thing was to finally repaire my mac. Yesterday...I mean on Thursday Axel, German mac user from our dorm, looked my silver apple and found out that memory is broken. Which meant that my nightmares didn't come true and hard drive should be OK...yeppee! Ok, then I started to call Apple-care 'cause didn't have anything better to do. I was way too tired to do any analysis for old results. Anyway, got number to closest place where they could repaire my precious toy. Pleasent japanese women suggested also service where they would collect the machine from me and would brought it back after service but it sounded quite expensive. Somehow I wrote the number down wrong and I had to call back...after lunch. It took me 15 times to call before I finally got trough there with our lab's landline phone. And that was only 'cause my lab mate expleined them finally that there is "kaijin" calling now so please be mercyful put him trough to the english service. Naturally cellphone had run out of battery. Oh, this going to be long post if I continue like this.

Finally around 3 pm. me and my tutor Souichiro-san (the wizard with computers) were thinking what to do. He made some calls to service place and found out that if I go there today I couldn't get my laptop back for more than week 'cause holidays are comming. So, we decided to take a risk that the only problem with my apple is the memory. I jumped to train to Yokohama. Before that went to post office to send a letter to Neatherlands. I think this was the first thing (and almost the only one) which went like planned. On the way to Yokohama I was taking trains trains to wrong directions but finally managed to get there and found the station and new memory (2x512MB). Back to lab after 6 pm. Dinner. Surfing. Surfing. Surfing while half sleeping.

When Souichi was released from the other lab's (he's co-operating with other lab) meeting it was almost 9 pm. We changed the memory. Made the hardware check. It went trough. So, computer should be fixed now. But no. When I tried to start it, no response. Damn.

Time to go home. On the way chains were displaced from my bicycle middle of the darkest path surrounded by rice fields. Had to walk half kilometer to reach the nearest street light. Repaired the bicycle and continued my joyrney with loud noise rising from chains...too tired to pay any more attention to it. Here I took shower went to bed but decided to read the book "Kristianin Nuoruus Vuodet" before falling a sleep. "Why not to put installing in progress at the same time"...and I did. So, here I'm writing this post. Only problem is that all my old data (including all my pictures taken here in Japan) are somewhere deep inside the silver box. Have no idea how to get them out...and frankly, at the moment I care a rat shit of those files. Tomorrow is a new day and after that even next one. Time to get some sleep. Akihabara's electric future world is waiting tomorrow. Time to buy christmas present for myself. (^_^)



Have to mention about this week that there has been again many new experiences but right now I can recall only one thing (maybe 'cause I have been reading too much this "Myrkky" comic). One morning there was huge dog taking a poop and his owner, japanese lady half taller than the dog, was keeping a plastic bag open under dog's you know what...hilarious. Still smiling when thinking them. That dog has been taught well!

No comments: