Saturday, December 09, 2006

Silver cat having a cold

What a week, what a week...and it's not over yet. I still have to write a report to my professor in Finland. And it has to be done by Monday and in English. Also on Monday is my turn to give a presentation in weekly meeting (show my research results from last three weeks). So, I’ll try to keep this post short. Hands are still shaking from yesterday’s party and next party is already waiting tonight. Luckily tonight’s party is organized by the organization who offers the free Japanese lessons, so it’ll be full of old ladies which means that tonight I’ll get to sleep early.


Where would I start… Ok, last weekend after the K-1 tournament I borrowed my key to Israel. Who happened to lose it. So, my door couldn’t be locked for few days and before it could be open first time, I had to sleep one night on the sofa of common room. Chinese mafia in our dormitory didn’t hit my room during this time. And actually this reminded me that I’ve getting back the plates which were stolen during the first weeks. Wonder if my Shampoo and soap will return someday..?


On Tuesday I was going to be late from my class (damn cell phone with the silence mode which makes the alarm clock also silent). I was cycling like mad man to get there on time. I was half way there when tyre got flat. So, fast walking to school and I didn’t miss the whole class. My bicycle is still here at the university, no time to repair it yet.


Wednesday I gave an intermediate presentation for the Material Science faculty. There were all the first year students from different labs and their supervising professors. All the other students (except me and one Chinese guy) had started their studies on last April so they had a bit more results from their experiments to present. I presented mostly my topic and what I’m going to do with it. Luckily my turn was right after lunch, so most of the professors were still missing and I got easier “interrogation” time. After every presentation professors were putting some heat on the student with 7 minutes questioning about the topic. Evening there was party for all students who participated to this. Meet some nice people from different labs in our department. I had to leave after one hour to another party.


Just on time we arrived to Finnish embassy to shake hands with the ambassador and his wife. I invited my Finnish friend who is living here in Tokyo, but didn’t receive the invitation, to the party (met her in the very first weekend here in Tokyo). The evening was nice. There were lots of good food and we were enjoying drinking and chatting with other young Finnish people living in Japan. Just like last year in Budapest. Only the program was missing. Last year got to hear some piano playing and Hungarian opera singer singing national anthem of Finland. And unlike normally in Finnish parties or pub/bar nights, the closing was done with style. Just quietly stop serving alcohol to drunken Finnish people and you don’t have to say that it’s time to leave. When the glass is empty everybody lose their interest to party and goes out to look next one. Sounds familiar doesn’t it? :) I was able to catch the last train and five hours sleeping before heading to university.



Finnish youngsters in the embassy. Hansku, MILLION THANKS FOR BEST TIE EVER!!!! Hee, everybody really loved it...me among them. :D


Thursday is the day for studying. There are classes from 9 am. till 16:30 pm. First lesson (organic transition metal chemistry) the professor shot me down, like they use say in our lab. I couldn’t (of course) to solve the problem on the blackboard and the professor was yelling me that I haven’t learnt anything and I don’t know anything. He is damn right. I’m not an organic chemist; I’m there just to get the credits from lecture taught in English. Afternoon was woken up by my own professor when sleeping in middle of the class.


“Right Samuli, you must have question on this matter…”

“Uuumn, sorry…eettoo…??” , I replied.

“He has drunk to much Koskenkorva (Finnish vodka) last night”. He said smiling to whole class.

“maybe, maybe”, I replied and continued with couple of questions concerning about the topic in hand.


This Thursday I had also an exam. In the evening I went to my Japanese lessons and was so tired that sensei had to repeat everything twice before I could understand anything. Worst thing in whole day was that my silver cat stopped running. There is something wrong with my mac! Hopefully it’s only small flu and not anything big like broken hard drive…


Yesterday was farewell party to Inga-san. She will return to Lithuania on Tuesday for few months. From there she'll continuing to Finland and my home university as a researcher. So, we'll be still in connection for the next two years. There is still so many things unlearned from her. But from now on she'll have to teach me remotely via Skype. :) We ate sushi and had some good time. Evening ended, like usually to eating and drinking in an after party…some karaoke was included.


And now it’s finally time to do what for I came to lab today. Write the report.

1 comment:

Hansku said...

You are warmly welcome! :)